Leadership Studies, Certificate
The Leadership Studies Certificate program is a special recognition awarded to students who have completed the following requirements:
- Leadership Certificate course work. The following 12 credits of course work must be completed with a B- or higher GPA:
Course List Code Title Credits Required Courses: 6 MGMT 300 Developing the Leader Within You 3 MGMT 340 Organizational Behavior 3 Certificate Electives - Select from the following 1 6 Advanced Organizational Behavior Cross Cultural Leadership Topics in Leadership Leadership Communication Leadership and Management Practices in Health Services Leadership and Personal Development Introduction to Tactical Leadership Innovative Team Leadership Foundations of Tactical Leadership
- Leadership Experience. Students must provide evidence of bona fide leadership experience while completing the BBA degree. This is done by submitting a resumé that outlines the student’s leadership positions and experiences, briefly explaining responsibilities and accomplishments in each case, and submitting a letter of recommendation from an organization advisor, board member (non-student), or other supervisor. The letter of recommendation must specifically attest to the leadership requirements of the position held, and give specific examples of the leadership skills demonstrated by the student. Generic, employment-related letters of reference will not be accepted.
- Leadership Reflection Paper. Candidates for the Leadership Studies Certificate must submit a paper that reflects on the leadership experience documented by the resumé and letter of recommendation described above. The paper should be five to seven pages in length, double-spaced, and in 12-point font. The suggested outline for the paper is as follows:
- A description of the leadership experience
- Self-evaluation of your strengths and weakness as a leader during these experiences
- Strategies and tactics for improving on your weaknesses and capitalizing on your strengths as a leader
- Evaluation of how your leadership course work relates to your leadership experiences
The application form for the Leadership Studies Certificate is available in the Management and Marketing department office, SSS 400D. The resumé, letter of recommendation, and reflection paper should be submitted with the completed application form.
The Leadership Studies certificate may not be combined with the standard Business Administration major. This certificate can be combined with other COB majors, including some Management and Marketing majors. Please see the list of approved major/minor combinations within a single department that satisfy university academic concentration requirements.