The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
105 Garfield Avenue
Eau Claire, Wisconsin 54702-4004
UW-Eau Claire Web Homepage
Situated at the confluence of the Eau Claire and Chippewa rivers, the city of Eau Claire originated as a lumber town in the 1840s. Today, with a population of more than 67,000, Eau Claire is a commercial, medical, technological, and educational center for the west central region of Wisconsin. Eau Claire is located 90 miles east of Minneapolis/St. Paul and 247 miles northwest of Milwaukee. The city and the surrounding countryside abound in rivers, lakes, and wooded areas of great natural beauty, where seasonal sports, camping, and other recreational activities may be enjoyed throughout the year.
The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire was founded in 1916 as the Eau Claire State Normal School, occupying a single building on land donated to the state by the city of Eau Claire. The academic history of the institution is reflected in its subsequent changes of name and mission. As the Eau Claire State Teachers College (1927-51), it awarded baccalaureate degrees in education; as the Wisconsin State College at Eau Claire (1951-64), it added degree programs in liberal arts. The state colleges were granted university status in 1964, and the Wisconsin State University-Eau Claire was organized into the schools of Arts and Sciences, Education, and Graduate Studies. The School of Nursing was created in 1965 and the School of Business in 1966. The institution became the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire in 1971 with the merger of the two state-supported university systems to form the University of Wisconsin System, which includes 13 universities, 13 two-year colleges, and UW-Extension. In 2004, an administrative restructuring created four colleges at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire: the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Business, the College of Education and Human Sciences, and the College of Nursing and Health Sciences. Graduate programs are administered by each of the colleges.
The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire today serves more than 10,000 students, offering a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs, and serving regionally as a center for continuing education. The main campus includes 28 major buildings located on a 333-acre, two-level campus, which embraces Putnam Park on the south bank of the Chippewa River and is connected by a footbridge to the Haas Fine Arts Center and the Human Sciences and Services building on the north bank. The university campus also includes The Priory, a facility three miles south of the main campus, and Haymarket Landing, a student apartment complex in downtown Eau Claire.
Select Mission of the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
In addition to the University of Wisconsin System Mission and the Core Mission of the University Cluster Institutions, the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire has the following select mission:
We foster in one another creativity, critical insight, empathy, and intellectual courage, the hallmarks of a transformative liberal education and the foundation for active citizenship and lifelong inquiry.
We fulfill our mission through a pervasive university commitment to provide:
- Rigorous, intentional and experiential undergraduate liberal education for life and livelihood;
- Strong, distinctive professional and graduate programs that build on and strengthen our proud tradition of liberal education;
- Multicultural and international learning experiences for a diverse world;
- Exemplary student-faculty research and scholarship that enhance teaching and learning;
- An inclusive campus community that challenges students to develop their intellectual, personal, cultural, and social competencies;
- Educational opportunities responsive to the needs of our communities, state, region, and beyond; and
- Academic leadership in transforming liberal education.
Organization of the University
The Chancellor is the University’s chief administrative officer, responsible for all phases of University activity, and accountable to the Board of Regents and UW System President. In the discharge of these obligations, the Chancellor is assisted by other administrators, and advised by the faculty, staff, and students of the University.
Subject to the powers of the Board of Regents, the UW System President, and the Chancellor:
- University faculty has primary responsibility for academic and educational activities and faculty personnel matters,
- University academic staff has primary responsibility for academic staff personnel matters,
- University students have primary responsibility for policies concerning student life, services, and extracurricular activities; and share responsibility with the Chancellor and Board of Regents for the disposition of student fees constituting substantial support for student activities.
Administrative Organization and Personnel
|Chancellor||James C. Schmidt|
|Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs||Patricia A. Kleine|
Director of University Assessment
Academic Affairs Budget Officer
|Andrew J. Nelson|
|Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs||Michael J. Carney|
Director of Academic Skills Center
Director of Admissions
Director of Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning
Director of Human Development Center
Director of Learning and Technology Services
|Craig A. Mey|
Director of Libraries
|Jill Markgraf (Interim)|
Director of Services for Students with Disabilities
Director of Student Support Services
|Bruce J. Ouderkirk|
|Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs & Dean of Graduate Studies||Mary Hoffman (Interim)|
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research and Sponsored Programs and Director of the Center of Excellence for Faculty/Student Research Collaboration
|Karen J. Havholm|
Director of McNair Program
|Carolyn Otto (Interim)|
Director of University Honors Program
Coordinator of Intercultural Immersion
|Shanti B. Freitas|
Interim Lead of International Education
|Executive Director of Advising, Retention and Career Center||Billy Felz|
Associate Director of Career Services
|Executive Director, Blugold Central Student Services||Durwin Long|
Director of Student Services
Director of Blugold Central Operations
Director of Financial Aid
|Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences||David Leaman|
|Margaret L. Cassidy|
Administrative Officer - Enrollment Management and Student Academic Issues
|Dean of the College of Business||Timothy S. Vaughn (Interim)|
|Dean of the College of Education and Human Sciences||Carmen Manning|
Director of Upward Bound
|Dean of the College of Nursing and Health Sciences||Linda Young|
Associate Dean (Marshfield)/Department Chair
|Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs||Beth Hellwig|
Director of Intercollegiate Athletics
Director of Children’s Nature Academy
Director of Housing and Residence Life
Associate Director of Multicultural Affairs
Director of University Centers
Director of University Recreation and Sport Facilities
|Andy Jepsen (interim)|
|Student Affairs Executive Director of Diversity and Inclusion||Jodi Thesing-Ritter|
Director of Blugold Beginnings
Director of Women’s and LGBTQ Resource Center
Civil Rights Pilgrimage Program
|Dean of Students and Student Senate Operations||Joseph Abhold|
Assistant Dean of Students
National Student Exchange
|Miranda Cross-Schindler, Phil Huelsbeck|
Coordinator for Center for the Awareness of Sexual Assault (CASA)
Director of Counseling Services
|Laura G. Chellman (Interim)|
Director of Student Health Service
|Laura G. Chellman|
|Executive Director, ASK Center||Kristen Hendrickson|
Director of Human Resources
|David J. Miller|
Director of Loss Prevention and Safety
|John J. Baltes|
|Assistant Chancellor for Facilities and University Relations||Mike Rindo|
Director of Facilities
Director of Integrated Marketing and Communications
|Special Assistant to Chancellor and Executive Director of Marketing and Planning||Mary Jane Brukardt|
Director of Integrated Marketing and Communications
|Director of Affirmative Action||Teresa E. O’Halloran|
Director of University Police
|David W. Sprick|
|President of UWEC Foundation and Executive Director of University Advancement||Kimera K. Way|
Director of Corporate Relations
Coordinator of Alumni Engagement
Campus Information Services 715-836-2637
toll-free (888) 463-6893
Parking and Transportation Services: Parking and Transportation Services, in cooperation with students, faculty, and administrators, strives to find an equitable way to manage the parking spaces available to all members of the University Community. Therefore, parking policies and regulations at UW-Eau Claire are aimed at easing the parking crunch on campus and in the neighborhoods adjacent to the campus. These policies and regulations are part of an overall parking plan, which incorporates a multifaceted approach to managing the parking spaces available on campus. It includes a differentiated pricing system for parking permits, penalties for violations, and a free city-wide transit service. Detailed and current parking information can be obtained from Parking and Transportation Services located within Blugold Central, 715-836-3000, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visitor Parking: Visitors to campus should stop at the Visitor Center to receive a guest parking permit and directions to various campus and city destinations. Located at the corner of Park and Roosevelt Avenues on lower campus, the Visitor Center also offers reserved parking with 24-hour advance notice. For reservations and detailed information, call the Visitor Center at 715-836-2544.
Visiting the Campus: Conducted tours may be arranged through the Office of Admissions at 715-836-5415. Visitors may obtain a brochure describing the campus and its facilities from the Service Center, in the east lobby of Davies Center, or from the Visitor Center.
|Chancellor, Provost and Vice Chancellor, Vice Chancellors, Assistant Chancellors||Schofield Hall|
|Admissions||Schofield Hall 112|
|College of Arts and Sciences||Schofield Hall 220|
|College of Business||Schneider Hall 110|
|College of Education and Human Sciences||Centennial Hall 3015|
|College of Nursing and Health Sciences||Nursing 103|
The office addresses of department chairs are listed in the departmental sections of the catalog.
Auditoriums, Theatres, etc.
|Casey Observatory||L. E. Phillips Science Hall|
|Clark Bird Museum||L. E. Phillips Science Hall|
|Dakota Ballroom||W.R. Davies Student Center|
|Foster Gallery||Haas Fine Arts Center|
|Gantner Concert Hall||Haas Fine Arts Center|
|Kjer Theatre||Garfield and Park Avenues|
|Ojibwe Ballroom||W.R. Davies Student Center|
|Phillips Planetarium||L.E. Phillips Science Hall|
|Phillips Recital Hall||Haas Fine Arts Center|
|Riverside Theatre||Haas Fine Arts Center|
|Schofield Auditorium||Schofield Hall|
|Woodland Theater||W.R. Davies Student Center|
|Zorn Arena||Garfield Avenue|
Schofield Hall (1916), Garfield Avenue. Named for Harvey Schofield, first president of the Eau Claire State Normal School.
Kjer Theatre (1952), Garfield and Park Avenues. Named for Earl S. Kjer, chair of the speech department and director of theatre, 1953-1965.
Brewer Hall (1952), Garfield Avenue. Named for Charles J. Brewer, director of teacher education, 1916-1938.
L. E. Phillips Science Hall (1964; addition, 1969; a major renovation, 2002), lower campus, spanning Little Niagara Creek. Named for the Eau Claire industrialist whose major gift made possible the acquisition of special equipment.
Schneider Hall (1967), Park and Roosevelt Avenues. Named for John S. Schneider, professor of sociology and history, 1930-1961.
Nursing (1969; addition, 1985), lower campus at edge of Putnam Park.
McIntyre Library (1960; addition, 1972; addition, 1993), Garfield Avenue. Named for William D. McIntyre, an Eau Claire businessman who served on the Board of Regents of State Colleges, 1945-1966.
McPhee Strength and Performance Center (1969; Ade Olson Addition, 1987), upper campus. Named for Eugene R. McPhee, an alumnus, former faculty member, and executive director of the Wisconsin State University System, 1945-1972. Addition named for an alumnus, coach, and chair of the department of physical education, 1947-1975.
Haas Fine Arts Center (1970), Water Street, with footbridge spanning the Chippewa River to the main lower campus. Named for former chancellor Leonard Haas (1959-1980) and his wife, Dorellen.
Hibbard Hall (1974), Garfield and Park Avenues. Named for Richard E. Hibbard, the Political Science faculty member and vice president for academic affairs (1964-1971), who served as interim president and interim chancellor, 1971-1972.
Human Sciences and Services (1982), Water Street, north campus overlooking the Chippewa River.
Centennial Hall (2014), Park Avenue. Named to honor UW-Eau Claire’s Centennial in 2016.
Katharine Thomas Hall (1955), lower campus. 73 men and 71 women. Named for a member of the first faculty (Teacher Education, 1916-1946).
Katherine Putnam Hall (1958), lower campus. 94 men and 140 women. Named for the granddaughter of the Eau Claire lumberman who established Putnam Park.
Emmet Horan Hall (1961), upper campus. 206 men. Named for the businessman who was the first Eau Claire appointee to the Board of Regents of State Normal Schools.
Governors Hall (1962), upper campus. 134 men and 208 women.
Laura E. Sutherland Hall (1965), upper campus. 144 men and 260 women. Named for a faculty member (History, 1921-1959; dean of women, 1939-1947).
Benjamin W. Bridgman Hall (1965), upper campus. 116 men and 126 women. Named for a member of the first faculty (Physics, 1916-1941).
Arthur L. Murray Hall (1966), upper campus. 146 men and 164 women. Named for a faculty member (English, 1918-1943).
Towers Residence Hall (1967), upper campus. 435 men and 897 women.
Oak Ridge Hall (1969), upper campus. 64 men and 282 women.
Chancellors Hall (2000), upper campus. 81 apartments for 324 students. Named in honor of past, present, and future chancellors.
W.R. Davies Student Center (2012), lower campus. Named for the second president (1941–1959) of the Eau Claire State Teachers College. The W.R. Davies Student Center is the center for social and cultural interaction on the lower campus. Offering a number of meeting and program spaces, dining facilities and service areas, Davies Center is the administrative core of the University Centers. It is also home to the Student Senate, the primary vehicle for student involvement in university governance, The University Book Store, Blugold Dining/Catering Services, US Bank, Blugold Card Services, Event Services and Activities, Involvement & Leadership.
Crest Wellness Center (1965), upper campus. Student Health Service, Crest Fitness Center, University Police, Eagles View Challenge Ropes Course.
Hilltop Center (1968), upper campus. Offering a number of dining facilities including the main cafeteria The Riverview Café, program spaces and service areas. Hilltop Center is the administrative core of Recreation and Sport Facilities. It is equipped with a bowling and billiards center, The Lookout – event space, lounge space, and Environmental Adventure Center that offers indoor archery as well as outdoor adventure equipment rental.
Schofield Auditorium (1916; Renovation 2009), Schofield Hall, lower campus. Renovated in 2009 through a collaborative effort of Student Senate, University Centers, the Chancellors Office and University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire Foundation. Managed by University Centers - Schofield auditorium is the largest fixed seat venue on campus. Its state of the art Lighting, Sound, Video and seating plays host to hundreds of large events every year.
Zorn Arena (1951), lower campus on Garfield Avenue. Named in honor of Willis L. Zorn, dean of men, director of athletics and head basketball coach. Bill Zorn began his distinguished 40-year career at Eau Claire in 1928. Elected to the NAIA Hall of Fame in 1958, Zorn promoted “athletics for all” through the Men’s Athletic Association. The physical education teaching facility was completed in 1951 and first used in 1952. Originally known as the Fieldhouse, the building was renamed the University Arena in January 1969, and named for Zorn after his death in 1987. Managed by University Centers Zorn Arena is the largest multipurpose facility on campus. It is also the home for men’s and women’s intercollegiate basketball. Many of the university’s artists and lecturers make their presentations in Zorn Arena, which can seat up to 3,400 people.
Sites and Collections Supporting Instruction and Research
The John L. Buchholz Jazz Library, is a rare and extensive collection of jazz charts and recordings donated in 2012 to the UW-Eau Claire Foundation in honor of John L. Buchholz, professor emeritus of English. The longtime jazz musician was among the founding members of the UW-Eau Claire Jazz Ensemble in 1962 and performed throughout the region. This one-of-a-kind collection of more than 1,000 charts and 900 recordings includes Count Basie, Sammy Nestico, Bill Holman, Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman and many more legends of jazz. It also is located in Archives and Special Collections.
In 2014, the UW-Eau Claire Foundation acquired the Frederick G. and Joan Christopherson Schmidt Robert Frost Collection, a rare assemblage of works by the 20th century American poet. The Collection, which is housed in Special Collections and Archives in McIntyre Library, contains approximately 44 books authored by Frost, including several that have been signed and inscribed by the poet, dozens of books about Frost, and manuscript materials containing hand-written poetry, Christmas cards and pamphlets.
The James Newman Clark Bird Museum, circular in shape, surrounds the Planetarium in Phillips Hall. The collection of approximately 530 specimens and four dioramas depicting native birds in their natural habitats is used by students in biology. The museum is open to the public from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, and at other times by appointment. For more information contact Ms. Lynn Young Janik, Department of Biology.
The L. E. Phillips Planetarium, located in the J.N. Clark Museum (Phillips Hall), contains a Spitz model A-3-P planetarium with a seating capacity of 50. The planetarium is used by classes in the Department of Physics and Astronomy. Programs for local school groups and the public are scheduled during the year.
Putnam Park, 200 acres of natural vegetation in the midst of the campus, provides an area for the study of flora and fauna within easy walking distance of classrooms, as well as a place for relaxation and hiking. The park is traversed by Putnam Drive and by a nature trail, for which printed guides are available in the Campus Information Services of Davies Center. For more information contact Dr. Joseph Rohrer, Department of Biology.
The S. W. Casey Observatory, located atop Phillips Hall, contains a computer-controlled, seven-inch Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope with a charge-coupled-device (CCD) camera. The observatory is adjacent to an observing deck with 11 stations for student use in astronomy laboratory classes. These stations use eight-inch telescopes.
The Hobbs Observatory, located 15 miles east of the campus at the Beaver Creek Reserve, contains a 24-inch computer-controlled telescope, a 14-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope, a CCD camera, and a classroom. This observatory is open to the public on Saturday nights, when clear, during the months of May through October.
The James and Joan Leary Family Environmental Education Center consists of 168 acres located in a popular four-season recreational area at the confluence of the Flambeau and Chippewa rivers. The land is surrounded by Chippewa County forest land. The Leary Family Environmental Education Center will become an integral part of the university’s . Information about the Leary Environmental Education Center is available from Dr. James Boulter, director of the Watershed Institute.
Nature Conservancy Tracts, owned by the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Foundation, include 320 acres of forest and marshland which are available for scientific investigations and class use. One of these, the Schmidt Tract, is approximately 30 miles east of Eau Claire, in Clark County, and two are in Washburn County, near Sarona and Spooner. More specific information concerning location and use of this land can be obtained from Dr. Paula Kleintjes Neff, Department of Biology.
The Priory, formerly known at St. Bede’s Monastery, was purchased in 2011 by Blugold Real Estate, LLC, a subsidiary of the UW-Eau Claire Foundation as an ideal facility for expanding UW-Eau Claire academic programming. The property includes 112 mostly wooded acres in the town of Washington and three building complexes totaling approximately 80,000 square feet. It is located three miles south of the UW-Eau Claire campus. The former Children’s Center at UW-Eau Claire, now named the Children’s Nature Academy, opened in June 2012 as The Priory’s anchor tenant.
UW-Eau Claire students are the primary users of the academy’s services, which include the infant and toddler care program. In addition to students who use the academy’s child care services, hundreds of university students either work, volunteer or engage in observation activities at the academy annually.
Beginning in Fall of 2014, the Priory has renovated and modernized residence hall rooms housing 22 students; in the fall of 2015, the renovations will expand student housing to 54 single occupancy rooms that have all been remodeled.
The Gulf Coast Research Laboratory (GCRL), Ocean Springs, Mississippi, is an out-of-state institution affiliated with the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. The GCRL offers two summer terms, and provides an opportunity for students to obtain instruction in a marine environment. For more specific information contact Dr. David Lonzarich, Department of Biology.
Academic Building Abbreviations
|B||CJ. Brewer Hall|
|CWC||Crest Wellness Center|
|HFA||Haas Fine Arts Center|
|HHH||Richard E. Hibbard Humanities Hall|
|HSS||Human Sciences and Services|
|L||Wm. D. McIntyre Library|
|MPE||Eugene R. McPhee Physical Education Center|
|P||L.E. Phillips Science Hall|
|SSS||Schneider Social Science Hall|
Accreditation and Memberships
The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Address:
230 South LaSalle Street
Chicago, Illinois 60604
Telephone: (800) 621-7440
Specific programs or individual units of the University are accredited or approved by the following agencies, as explained in appropriate sections of the catalog:
- AACSB International—the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- American Chemical Society
- American-Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Council on Social Work Education
- National Association of Boards of Examiners of Long Term Care Administrators
- National Association of School Psychologists
- National Association of Schools of Music
- National Environmental Health Association
- Wisconsin Department of Health and Social Services
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
- Wisconsin State Board of Nursing
The University is a member of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing, the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education, the American Association of State Colleges and Universities, the American Association of University Women, the American Council on Education, the Association of American Colleges and Universities, the Council of Graduate Schools, the Council for Opportunities in Education, the Council on Undergraduate Research, the Wisconsin Campus Compact, and the Wisconsin Institute for Peace and Conflict Studies.
Continuing Education and Extension
The “Wisconsin Idea”
The “Wisconsin Idea,” a concept named after the state that pioneered its development, holds that the function of a university is not only to educate full-time students on its home campus, but also to extend educational opportunities and services to all citizens of the state. The Wisconsin Idea is incorporated into the general mission of the University of Wisconsin System and into the particular missions of the various institutions.
The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire has long supported the Wisconsin Idea and the related idea of education as a process continuing throughout the lifetime of an individual. The University welcomes contemporary learners who wish to attend credit and non-credit courses for personal or professional reasons.
Further information may be obtained from the Office of Continuing Education.
University of Wisconsin-Extension
To increase the availability of educational opportunities both on and off campus, the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire and University of Wisconsin-Extension cooperate in providing noncredit continuing education programs and credit courses designed for contemporary learners. Information about current offerings may be obtained from the Office of Continuing Education at 715-836-3636, or toll-free (866) 893-2423.
Continuing Education – Connecting Campus and Community
Continuing Education addresses the needs of contemporary learners through credit and noncredit courses designed for students of all ages.
Noncredit courses and other services include:
- professional development programs for educators, health care, human services and business professionals.
- counseling, information, and entrepreneurial training through the Small Business Development Center.
- youth development programs that introduce, enrich, enhance, and develop skills and knowledge in a variety of areas.
- partnerships with school districts and CESAs that provide educational opportunities for area educators and youth.
- personal enrichment for the community.