Paying for College

Tuition and Fees


The fees and procedures described in this section are estimates. Prospective students should refer to the Class Schedule, which will contain links to up-to-date information about fees. Fee information can be found on the Business Office home page.

The payment of fees entitles a student to a student identification (ID) card. This card entitles the student to attend most University activities and to make use of University facilities (see Your Right to Know handbook and Blugold Card Services section). Undergraduate students receive most of their required textbooks on a rental basis (see Textbook Rentals).

Tuition and Residency

A Wisconsin Statute requires the payment of nonresident tuition by students who are residents of states other than Wisconsin or who have not been bona fide residents of Wisconsin for one year (12 months) immediately preceding the beginning of the semester for which they are registering.

For undergraduate and graduate students, determination of resident status for tuition purposes is made by the Office of Admissions at the time of admission.

If the original residence status for tuition purposes is designated as nonresident, this status remains in effect unless the student requests and is granted reclassification. Such requests should be addressed to the Office of Admissions prior to the beginning of the semester in which reclassification is to take effect.

Minnesota-Wisconsin Tuition Reciprocity

The current reciprocity agreement between Minnesota and Wisconsin enables Minnesota residents to attend Wisconsin public institutions of higher education at rates approximating tuition prevailing in the Minnesota State University System. Those wishing to take advantage of this tuition remission must apply well in advance of their initial enrollment at a Wisconsin System institution. Approval covers the full year (including Summer Session) and is automatically renewed each year for the campus initially approved. Information is available from the State of Minnesota Office of Higher Education Reciprocity Program, 1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350, St. Paul, MN 55108-5227. Phone: (651) 642-0567 or toll-free (800) 657-3866. Assistance in obtaining application forms is available at Minnesota high schools. Students may print an application or apply for reciprocity online.

Miscellaneous Fees

Fees for certain special courses are listed in CampS and can be found by using the class seach feature located under self service.  A $50 fee must accompany each application for admission to an undergraduate program. A $56 fee must accompany each application for admission to a graduate program.

Fee Schedule

Important Note: Fee schedules were not determined at the time this catalog was printed. The amounts given here are estimates for full-time students, that is, undergraduates taking 12 to 18 credits or graduates taking nine credits. All estimates are for one semester. These amounts include segregated fees.

  Resident Non-Resident
Undergraduate $4415 $8550
Graduate $4665 $9460
Room and Board $3906 $3906

Undergraduates taking more than 18 credits are assessed an additional per credit fee. Please refer to the Business Office website for up-to-date fee information.

Excess Credits Surcharge

In accordance with Board of Regents policy, all resident undergraduate students who accumulate 165 credits (or 30 credits more than required by their degree programs, whichever is greater) will be charged a surcharge, equal to 100 percent of the regular resident tuition on credits beyond that level (total tuition will equal twice regular resident tuition). For information about credits required in a specific degree program or information concerning appealing the surcharge, contact the Registrar.

Partial Payment Plan

A down payment is required to enter the Partial Payment Plan and must be received by Blugold Central no later than the date published in the current Class Schedule for each term. In addition, all students must sign and return a Payment Plan Agreement/Email Authorization form each term. Installments will be due according to the published schedule and will be subject to a finance charge on the unpaid balance (see the Payment Information and Due Dates website for due dates and finance charge rates). Failure to make installment payments on time will result in a hold on academic records and on registration for future terms.

Refund of Fees

Refunds may be made as the result of withdrawal from the University or a reduction in the number of enrolled credits. Degree-seeking students wishing to withdraw from all their classes are required to meet with their Advisor prior to withdrawing from classes. In determining the academic withdrawal date, the University will use the date that the student notified the University of his or her intent to withdraw. The dates and corresponding amounts of refund can be found on the Refund Schedule / Financial Aid Repayment Notice website. A credit balance of less than $3.00 will not be refunded unless requested.

Refund of Room and Board Payments

Students who are granted permission to cancel their residence hall contract without withdrawing from the University will be refunded room and board charges on a prorated basis. The room deposit will be forfeited.

Students who are suspended by the University will be refunded room and board fees, including the room deposit, on a prorated basis. A credit balance of less than $3.00 will not be refunded unless requested.

The above policies apply to all persons who reside in University housing.


A enrollment deposit is required for new freshmen entering in the fall and spring. The deposit will be applied to fees when the student completes registration. The amount, date due, and refund policy are specified in the orientation brochure, which is sent to each new freshman prior to the Summer Orientation session.

A $75 room deposit/advance payment is required for all students applying for housing. The deposit is in addition to the room fees and is intended to serve as a reservation deposit for the contract. The money is held in escrow and applied to second semester fees. If the student does not complete the contract for the full academic year, the deposit is forfeited. If the contract is for a new student, the deposit will be refunded if the Housing and Residence Life Office receives a written request from the student before May 1 of the preceding year. Returning students will have their advance deposits refunded if the Housing and Residence Life Office receives a written request from the student before May 1 of the preceding academic year. Those students who voluntarily cancel their contracts after these dates shall forfeit the deposit.

A $75 room deposit is also required for room reservations for students entering at spring semester.

Financial Aid

The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire offers financial assistance through scholarships, grants, loans, and student work experience. The majority of this assistance is awarded based on financial need. There are, however, resources available through scholarships, unsubsidized loans, and student employment for students who do not qualify for need-based aid.

Financial need is based on the student’s educational expenses and the contribution that is calculated using the financial information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For detailed information on financial aid, visit the UW-Eau Claire Financial Aid website.

How to Apply

Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year in order to apply for all need-based programs as well as for the Direct Unsubsidized Ford Loan, the Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students, and the Graduate PLUS Loan.  CampS is a resource for specific information about current financial aid status and financial aid disbursed on students’ accounts.


To assure first consideration for funding, the FAFSA should be submitted by April 15. (Freshmen should apply by March 15 to receive financial aid information by May 1.) Late applications will be considered for aid based on funds available. Students who apply late or who do not turn in the required additional paperwork need to be prepared to pay their institutional charges by the due date if their financial aid is not available.

A separate financial aid application is required for Summer Session and is available through CampS. A current FAFSA must be on file to apply for summer aid.

Enrollment Status

Students must be enrolled at least half-time to qualify for most types of aid, although undergraduate students who have very high need may qualify for a small Pell Grant at less than half-time status. Enrollment status for financial aid purposes is determined by the student’s total credits at the end of the tenth day of classes. Financial aid is adjusted at that point, if necessary. Six credits is considered half-time for undergraduate students for the academic year and summer. For graduates, four credits is half-time during the academic year and three credits is half-time during summer.

Students participating in a full-time equivalent internship may be considered for aid as a full-time student even though actual enrolled credits are less than full-time. Costs of attendance for financial aid will be calculated on actual tuition costs.

Students admitted as Special Students are not eligible for financial aid.

Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid

Federal regulations require students to maintain satisfactory academic progress toward a degree in order to receive financial aid. The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is required to develop and apply a consistent and reasonable standard of satisfactory progress for all students receiving federal financial aid. These standards are applied to all periods of attendance, regardless of whether a student has received financial aid in the past. A complete copy of the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire’s Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress policy is available at the Financial Aid website under “Policies.” There are three standards or components of satisfactory progress:

  • minimum GPA,
  • minimum credits completed (Pace), and
  • maximum time frame.

Standard for Grade Point Average

Students need to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.00.

Standard for Minimum Credits Completed (Pace)

Students must successfully complete 67 percent of their enrolled credits. A grade of F, W, XF, U, or IN is not considered successfully completing the class.

Standard for Maximum Time Frame

Students must complete a degree within 150% of the published length of the degree program. Undergraduate students may receive financial aid for a maximum of 180 attempted credits when enrolled in degree programs which have a published minimum requirement for graduation of 120 credits. A degree program that requires more than 120 credits is an exception, and financial aid may be further extended. An additional 90 credits of financial aid eligibility is allowed for undergraduate students seeking a second degree. Graduate students are allowed 54 credits.

Monitoring Procedures and Reestablishment Options

These standards are monitored once per year at the end of spring semester using Registrar’s information. Future financial aid will be denied for students who fail to meet the standards of academic progress.

Students may reestablish their financial aid eligibility by earning an academic standing which meets the above criteria. Students may also file an appeal.  Students with extenuating circumstances that prevented them from making satisfactory progress are encouraged to describe and document those circumstances in writing. Their appeal will be reviewed by the Financial Aid Appeals Committee to determine whether financial aid eligibility should be reinstated. Students will be notified of the appeal decision in writing.

Return of Financial Aid Funds When a Student Withdraws

When a student withdraws from the University during the semester, federal regulations require that the University determine whether a portion of the student’s federal financial aid (other than work-study) must be returned. The amount of aid the student may keep when withdrawing is in direct proportion to the length of time the student remained enrolled during the semester. If the student was enrolled for 20 percent of the semester before withdrawing, 80 percent of the federal financial aid must be returned to the aid programs. If the student stays through 50 percent of the semester, 50 percent of the aid must be returned. Once the student completes at least 60 percent of the semester, the student may keep 100 percent of the aid received.

Consequently, if a student withdraws before completing at least 60 percent of the semester, the student may owe a repayment. The student will be billed for any balance owed to the University as a result of the University returning the financial aid funds, and the University will notify the student of the dollar amount owed.

Any financial aid that must be returned to the federal aid programs will be used first to reimburse loans received for the semester and then grant funds.

The specific repayment priority is:

  1. Unsubsidized Ford Loan
  2. Subsidized Ford Loan
  3. Perkins Loan
  4. Parent’s Loan for Undergraduate Students
  5. Pell Grant
  6. Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
  7. Other federal aid programs

For information about the refund calculations, contact Blugold Central. 

For state funds, institutional funds, and outside resources:

Financial aid received from state, institutional, and outside resources is not part of the federal return of funds repayment calculation. If remaining funds are available from the institutional refund after the federal return of funds requirements are satisfied, the remaining refund will be distributed in the following priority order:

  1. State aid programs
  2. Institutional programs
  3. Outside financial aid resources, if appropriate
  4. Student

Credit Drop (but not withdrawal from the University)

If a student drops credits before financial aid has been disbursed, the aid must be adjusted, if necessary, to correctly reflect the current enrollment status before aid can be disbursed. Final aid eligibility is based on enrollment status on the 10th day of classes. If a student changes enrolled credits after aid is disbursed, resulting in a change in the student’s eligibility, aid will be adjusted. This could result in a student having to repay some of the aid received for the term.

Funds for Purchasing a Computer

Students may be eligible for additional loan funds to cover the purchase or rental of a computer. Contact Blugold Central for details regarding this policy.

Additional Sources of Financial Assistance

Graduate Students: Graduate students are eligible for scholarships, assistantships, loans, and employment programs. Contact the Office of Admissions (attention: Graduate Admissions), UW-Eau Claire, Eau Claire, WI 54701, or call 715-836-4733 for application procedures for graduate student financial aid.

Veterans Administration Grants, G.I. Bill Benefits, National Guard Tuition Grants, Wisconsin Veterans Grant, Veterans’ Work Study: A Veterans Counselor is available in Blugold Central for students seeking information or assistance with these programs.

Vocational Rehabilitation: Various financial programs are available to students who qualify. Further information is available from area Vocational Rehabilitation offices.


A combination of federal, state, university, and private scholarships are available to UW-Eau Claire students on the basis of academic excellence or special talent. Some scholarship programs also specify financial need as a requirement of eligibility. Award amounts and student eligibility requirements vary depending on the individual scholarship criteria.

UW-Eau Claire Foundation Scholarships and Awards

Each year, the UW-Eau Claire Foundation provides over $2 million in scholarships, grants, and awards to UW-Eau Claire students. Over 900 different awards benefiting more than 1,200 students are available, all provided through the generosity of alumni and friends of the university.

Information about these scholarships, including scholarship applications, scholarship criteria, and award amounts is available through the Gold for Blugolds Scholarship Network. You can also visit the Foundation's Student Scholarships page, which provides a comprehensive explanation of how to find information about scholarships. 

For more information about a specific scholarship or for any application related questions, contact the department responsible for the award. For other scholarship related questions, contact Blugold Central or the UW-Eau Claire Foundation at

National Merit Scholarship

UW-Eau Claire is one of the few Wisconsin public universities to participate in the prestigious National Merit Scholarship Program. Finalists who specify UW-Eau Claire as their first choice Institution by the National Merit Corporation deadline will be eligible for this scholarship. Admissions applications of finalists will be reviewed for the selection process. There is no separate application to apply.

Tuition Remission

Wisconsin Statutes provide for awarding a limited number of tuition remissions to students who are not residents of Wisconsin. These awards range in value and can be up to the difference between resident and nonresident tuition.

Remissions for Nonresident Students

Students who are not residents of Wisconsin are considered for tuition remission by submitting the FAFSA.

Remissions for International Students

Undergraduate international applicants are considered for an annual award ranging from $1,000 to full non-resident remission. Awards are based on academic merit and financial need. Students apply after they are accepted. Continuing students must reapply annually.

Private Scholarships

Many private scholarships are sponsored by civic organizations, clubs, industries, and businesses. Students should contact their local high school counselors or principals for information about private scholarship programs available in the local community. The Financial Aid Office website features links to free scholarship search services, under “Scholarships.”


A grant is gift assistance and does not have to be repaid. Various grants are awarded to students who establish a high financial need as determined by federal and state guidelines. For more information, see the Grants section under Types of Aid on the Financial Aid website.


Loans must be repaid and may be “subsidized” or “unsubsidized.” Subsidized loans do not accrue interest until after the student is no longer enrolled. Unsubsidized loans accrue interest at the time the loan is disbursed. For more information, see the Loans section under Types of Aid on the Financial Aid website.


The Department of Education has established an ombudsman to work with student borrowers to informally resolve any loan disputes or problems. If you have concerns about the terms of your loan that cannot be resolved by talking to your lender, you are encouraged to contact the Ombudsman Customer Service Line at (877) 557-2575.

Employment Opportunities

Employment opportunities are available through the University and in the local community. Available positions are posted on the Hire-a-Blugold job board. For more details about student employment opportunities, see the Student Employment section of the Financial Aid website.