All persons who wish to pursue a degree program at the University must file the following documentation with the Admissions Office, Schofield 111: an application for admission and any specific application fee, an official high school transcript, test scores (when applicable), and official transcript(s) of all previous post-secondary work attempted or completed. Priority dates for applications are established each year. Contact the Admissions Office for information at or 715-836-5415.

Preparation for University Study

A successful University experience depends upon the student’s prior educational coursework in high school and post-secondary school as well as other professional and personal experiences. Previous coursework and experiences should include a breadth of subject areas including English, both composition and literature; mathematics, natural science, history, and other social studies areas. 

Admission of Freshmen

Freshman admission is competitive and selective. Academic preparation and success are the primary considerations for admission, although non-academic factors are also considered. Each application for admission is given a comprehensive review. Freshman applicants are considered using the following guidelines:

  1. Applicants must present evidence of graduation from a recognized high school or equivalent certificate.
    1. A recognized high school is one which either
      1. is operated by public school districts, or
      2. is a private school accredited by an association that is certified by the U.S. Department of Education to accredit private schools, and those whose names appear in the Federal Register as an approved accreditation association, or
      3. is a private school not accredited under (2) but may be “recognized” by an institution in the System based on the performance of previously admitted graduates from the high school.
    2. An applicant who has not graduated from a recognized high school must provide evidence of ability to begin college work. Such evidence may include General Education Development (GED) test scores or High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) test scores, transcripts of course work completed in high school, high school rank-in-class before leaving high school, written recommendations, ACT/SAT test scores, and other evidence deemed appropriate by the University.
  2. Applicants should complete a rigorous college preparatory curriculum. Applicants who take courses beyond the minimum will be considered strong candidates for admission. Applicants must complete a minimum of 17 units (one unit equals one year of high school study or equivalent)2 distributed as follows:
    English (at least three composition and literature)4
    Mathematics (algebra, geometry, advanced college preparatory math) 13
    Natural Science3
    Social Science (one must be world or American history)3
    Additional course work in any of the above areas as well as foreign language, art, music, speech, computer science, or other academic areas.4
    Total Credits17
  3. In addition to a rigorous high school curriculum, academic factors include high school class rank, high school GPA, trends in grades, course rigor, and test scores. Secondary non-academic factors may include, but are not necessarily limited to, leadership; community service; achievement in the arts, athletics, or other areas; and diversity in personal background and experience. Official test scores from The American College Testing Program (ACT) or Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) must be on file for all new freshmen under the age of 22. ACT is the preferred test. Students will not be disadvantaged in the admission process by taking one test rather than the other.
  4. Students may be considered for conditional admission during the spring semester only. Students successfully meeting University requirements at the end of the conditional period will be continued for the following semester as a student in good standing. To be considered for conditional admission, students must have been out of high school for at least two years or a minimum of two years past their expected date of high school graduation.
  5. Particular consideration in admission will be given to applicants who have been out of school for two or more years; service veterans, as defined by state and federal policies; and students who have been challenged by a lack of educational opportunities.
  6. Requirements for out-of-state students will be the same as those of resident students, except that special requirements may be adopted for international applicants. If the number of qualified out-of-state students exceeds the ability of UW-Eau Claire to accommodate them, the University shall determine the criteria for selection from among qualified applicants.
  7. Final admission requires that students maintain their high school academic standing and successfully complete course work in progress as outlined on the application. The final (eighth semester) official transcript provided by the high school provides the required certification that the applicant has fulfilled this obligation. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the proper supporting documents have been delivered to the Admissions Office.

Competency-Based Admissions

High school students from schools that use a competency-based evaluation system may be considered for admission. High schools that use an alternative system such as this must complete the UW System Competency-Based Admission Profile. Contact the Admissions Office for additional information on the process and procedure.

Admission of Home-Schooled Students

Home-schooled students seeking admission as freshmen must have excelled academically in high school course work. They must have completed the minimum array of 17 units of rigorous college preparatory course work. Academic preparation and success are the primary considerations for admission, although non-academic factors are also considered. Each application for admission is given a comprehensive review.

Transfer Applicants

Transfer applicants will be considered for admission if their previous academic record qualifies them as students in acceptable standing when equated to the UW-Eau Claire standards in the Academic Standing and Progress policy. Transfer students are encouraged to apply for admission as early as possible prior to the semester in which they plan to enroll.  Priority application dates, after which admission of qualified student cannot be guaranteed, may be established each year. Information about specific dates can be found on the UW-Eau Claire transfer admission website.

In addition to a rigorous college-level course curriculum, academic factors considered include cumulative GPA and trend in grades.  Students with fewer than two semesters of college-level coursework (24 or more transferable credits) will be considered for admission based on both their college and high school records.  Academic preparation and success are the primary considerations for admission, although non-academic factors are also considered. Higher academic expectations or earlier priority dates may be determined for specific majors to keep enrollments in line with program capacities.
Final deadlines to accept applications and supporting documents will be determined by the Admissions Office each semester and published on the UW-Eau Claire transfer admission website. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the proper supporting documents have been delivered to the Admissions Office.

Students who have registered at other colleges and universities may not disregard their records at those institutions.   Failure to list previous college attendance on the application for admission is sufficient cause for cancellation of the student’s admission, of any credits earned, or both.
Transfer students who do not meet institutional admission criteria and are denied admission may appeal in writing to the Associate Director of Admissions.

Transfer of Credits

Credits earned at an institution accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) may be considered for transfer and applied toward a degree if they are similar in content and rigor to the curriculum at UW-Eau Claire.  The Admissions Office will prepare a transfer credit evaluation for admitted students.   Appeal of the evaluation may be made to the Associate Director of Admissions, the Chair of the academic department, the Dean of that College, and if necessary, to the Provost/Vice Chancellor.  Students seeking a second baccalaureate degree or additional certifications are not given a transfer credit evaluation for their first degree; they receive specific advising from their academic department.

Associate of Arts and Sciences degrees from the University of Wisconsin System institutions (including the University of Wisconsin Colleges that meet the 1987 Board of Regents approved minimum requirements) satisfy the breadth of the UW-Eau Claire Liberal Education Core.  Liberal Arts Associate of Arts and Science degrees from the Wisconsin Technical College System (earned in 2004 or thereafter) and Associate in Arts degrees from the Minnesota Colleges and Universities system (earned in 1994 or thereafter) satisfy the breadth of the UW-Eau Claire Liberal Education Core except for the Design for Diversity (DDIV) requirement within R1. Competency requirements, levels of proficiency, and specific courses are still required.   Because individual baccalaureate degree programs stipulate specific courses, students should be attentive to the requirements of an intended major in planning their course selection prior to transferring.  In certain fields, credits that were earned more than ten years prior to admission or readmission may be invalid as degree credits.
Students who transfer from the University of Wisconsin Colleges, the Wisconsin Technical College System, or other accredited two-year institutions may transfer a maximum of 72 credits from those institutions.

Credit may be granted for post-secondary coursework at a foreign institution if the institution is recognized as a degree-granting institution by the country’s Ministry of Education.  Professional organizations such as the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) and NAFSA: Association of International Educators are utilized for information about best practices regarding evaluation of foreign credits and credentials.

Transfer of WTCS Applied Associate Degree Credits

UW-Eau Claire may transfer and apply coursework in general studies from the Wisconsin Technical College System within areas of communications, behavioral sciences, social sciences, mathematics, and natural sciences from programs leading to an applied associate degree.  Credits that are occupational and technical in nature may be considered for transfer on a case-by-case basis.  To be considered for transfer, credit must have been earned after September 1989.


All students who have been away from the University for two consecutive full-term semesters or more must file a reentry application. Students seeking reentry are encouraged to submit an application as early as possible prior to the semester in which they wish to return. Reentry after the term starts is not guaranteed. Students returning after an absence of two or more consecutive full-term semesters must meet the degree requirements of the catalog in effect upon their return, or a subsequent catalog.

Admission as a Special Student

Persons who have graduated from a recognized high school, or have the educational equivalent, but who are not interested in seeking a degree, may attend the University as special students. Students interested in taking classes as a special student should apply online at Questions can be directed to Blugold Central.

Special students may enroll for a maximum of twelve credits per semester, and must meet the academic standards of the University (see Academic Standing and Progress). Special students are not eligible for financial aid, but may be eligible for veterans benefits.

Auditing of Classes by Special Students

An auditor registers to attend a course and participate in class activities without earning credit (see Auditing Courses). Basic required textbooks for use in undergraduate courses are furnished from the Instructional Resource Rental Department of the University Bookstore.

In all University courses, students registering for credit must be given priority over auditors, but a wide variety of alternatives is available to the auditor each semester. There are no formal requirements concerning previous education. Audit enrollment is not permitted in some courses.

Board of Regents policy makes it possible for students to audit courses at reduced costs, as follows: Wisconsin residents under age 60 may audit classes by paying only 30 percent of the normal per credit academic fee, and nonresidents may audit by paying 50 percent of the nonresident academic fee. Residents of Wisconsin who are 60 years of age or older or who meet certain disability requirements may audit courses on a space available basis at no charge for tuition. In all cases any special course fees or materials are additional. Individuals may audit a maximum of twelve credits each semester. Students may take a combination of audit and credit coursework during the same semester as long as combination does not exceed the twelve credit maximum. Individuals meeting disability requirements should contact Services for Students with Disabilities for accommodations. (see Auditing Courses)

Admission as a Youth Options/Course Options/High School Special Student

If students are looking to enroll in college courses while still in high school, three options are available:
Youth Option Program: available for a junior or senior in a public school district. Prior to being admitted as a Youth Options student, approval for the desired courses and cost must be approved by the student’s school district. School districts cover the full cost of this option.

Course Option Program: available for students in a public school district. Up to two approved courses (can be from different educational institutions) can be taken any time. School districts cover 50% of the cost, while the student/family is responsible for the remaining 50% of the cost.

High School Special Program: available for juniors or seniors. The student/family is responsible for the cost of the courses.

Admissions criteria:
Typically must be a high school junior or senior in the top 25% of the class OR in the top 50% of their class with an ACT composite of 24 or greater (SAT equivalent). If the student doesn't meet the above criteria, he/she will need to apply as an Exception Enrollment Student. Usually a high school student who can provide substantial and convincing letters of recommendation and/or data demonstrating high ability in a specific area of University study. (Send the documentation with your PI-8700/PI-8900 form.) For more information, contact the UW-Eau Claire Admission Office.
Once admitted, Youth Options/Course Options/High School Special students will be contacted by Advising, Retention and Career Center to set up a meeting with an adviser. Placement tests may be required before meeting with an adviser. Youth Options/Course Options/High School Special students are limited to twelve credits per semester and must meet the academic standards of the University (see Academic Standing and Progress). Youth Option/Course Options/High School Special students register during special student registration on a space available basis.

Admission of Veterans

A veteran who is not a high school graduate may be admitted on the basis of results required by the Admissions Office.

Veterans and certain eligible dependents may be entitled to educational benefits under various programs administered by the Veterans Administration (see Veteran Services Office). Veterans and eligible dependents may obtain these benefits while pursuing a course of study at UW-Eau Claire. Students enrolled as undergraduates, under these programs must typically carry 12 hours of credit during each semester of the academic year to be considered full time for Federal VA education benefit allotments.  Graduate students must typically carry 9 credits to be considered full time for VA education benefits.  Summer Session allotments are determined by class contact hours and total credits. Part-time and full-time study grants are available to eligible Wisconsin veterans.

Credit may be awarded for educational preparation acquired while in service:

  1. Special Training Program: Veterans will be asked to submit official transcripts of their records (This is typically done by submitting an official copy of the "Joint Service Transcript"). In granting credit, the University considers recommendation of the American Council on Education. No credit will be granted if such credit would constitute repetition of credit already earned.
  2. High school graduation equivalency will be granted to veterans who meet General Education Development (GED) Test standards as outlined by the American Council on Education, provided such tests have been completed by the date of formal registration.

Admission for Residents of U.S. Territories

American students from Territories of the United States are admitted on the same basis as other American students.

Admission of Permanent Residents

Permanent residents are admitted on the same basis as other American students. Students are required to provide copies of both sides of their permanent resident cards.

Admission for International Students

UW-Eau Claire welcomes applications from students from other countries. International students must complete an application for admission, provide evidence of English proficiency, confirm financial sponsorship, and submit academic records and examination results. Further information about the application process and required documents is available on the UW-Eau Claire international admissions website. 
Application deadlines are June 1 for the fall semester and November 1 for the spring semester. After those dates, applications are considered on a case-by-case basis.

United States immigration regulations have very strict limits on employment for international students.  International students must seek permission for any and all employment while in the United States.  The Center for International Education can advise international students regarding employment.

All international students are expected to live in University residence halls during their first year. Appeals to the housing requirement may be made to the Lead of the Center for International Education.

All international students are required to enroll in the UW System Student Health Insurance Plan.