Paying for College

There are several financial opportunities for graduate students to take advantage of at UW-Eau Claire.

Assistantships and Fellowships

If you would like to be considered for a graduate assistantship, graduate fellowship, or the Advanced Opportunity Program (AOP), the priority application date is March 1 for the following academic year. The online Graduate Assistantship/Fellowship/AOP Application can be found on the Admissions or Graduate Studies websites, and it is submitted electronically to the Office of Graduate Studies.

Initial assistantship and fellowship awards are made in early spring. The deadline for any subsequent competition for filling assistantships or fellowships after initial awards are made will be posted by the Graduate Dean. Applications for other forms of aid should be submitted as early as possible.

Graduate students are considered eligible for assistantships or fellowships if enrolled in a minimum of four graduate credits for assistantships, three graduate credits for fellowships, or four graduate credits for AOP grants. Enrollment in at least one thesis credit or in an applied field project is also considered full-time enrollment for financial aid and enrollment certification purposes.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships are available to graduate students who have been admitted in “full standing” to a degree program. Although most graduate assistantship positions require that the student work 13.3-hours per week (part-time) for an academic department, a full-time graduate assistant will work twenty hours per week.  Graduate assistants must be enrolled at least half-time, which is four credit hours during the fall/spring semesters, but no more than ten credit hours per semester, if employed as a full-time graduate assistant.  Graduate assistants working at least 13.3-hours per week may be eligible for health insurance and other benefits, as well as out-of-state tuition remission.

University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Foundation Fellowships

University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Foundation Fellowships are awarded on the basis of scholarship and scholarly potential. Fellowship recipients must be admitted in full standing to a degree program or be eligible for admission upon completion of the baccalaureate degree. The student must take at least three credit hours during the fall and spring semesters and one credit hour during the summer session.

Advanced Opportunity Program (AOP) Grants

Advanced Opportunity Program (AOP) awards are based, in part, on admission to full standing in a degree program (or eligibility for full standing upon completion of the baccalaureate degree). AOP grants are intended for under-represented racial/ethnic minority students, and economically disadvantaged non-minority graduate students; however, priority is given to economical disadvantaged minority students. Only students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents are eligible for these awards. All AOP recipients must maintain good academic standing, make satisfactory academic progress in their graduate program, and demonstrate financial need. In the semester/session during which the award is received, recipients must carry an academic load of at least four credit hours (three credit hours during the summer session), or be enrolled in at least one thesis credit. To be considered for an AOP grant, students must have a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) filed with Financial Aid and be currently enrolled at least two month before the start of classes, and have submitted the AOP application with the Office of Graduate Studies. The priority date for filing an AOP application with the Office of Graduate Studies is March 1 for the upcoming academic year, including the following summer session; however, applications will continue to be accepted as funding remains available. All graduate students enrolled in a degree program at UW-Eau Claire are welcome to apply for the AOP grants; preference is given to full-time, on-campus, Wisconsin resident students. Out-of-state students who receive an AOP grant may be eligible to receive a partial or full non-resident tuition remission the semester/session in which the grant is received.

Fee Schedule

A fee schedule is established each year. The fees and procedures described in this section are estimates.  Prospective students should refer to the Class Schedule, which will contain links to the up-to-date information about fees.  Fee information can be found on the Business Office website.  The determination of student level (undergraduate or graduate) for the purpose of fee assessment is based on the student’s classification. A student who registers for graduate credit will be classified as a graduate student for the term and will be assessed graduate-level fees for all course work. Exceptions may be made for undergraduates taking graduate courses in accordance with the policy described in this catalog (see Enrollment of Undergraduates for Graduate Credit in Registration section of Undergraduate Catalog).  Some of the online courses and/or programs may have their own unique tuition and fees schedule.

The payment of fees entitles a student to a student identification (ID) card. This card entitles the student to attend most University activities and to make use of University facilities (see Your Right to Know handbook and Blugold Card Services section).

Tuition and Residency

A Wisconsin Statute requires the payment of nonresident tuition by students who are residents of states other than Wisconsin or who have not been bona fide residents of Wisconsin for one year (12 months) immediately preceding the beginning of the semester for which they are registering.  Determination of resident status for tuition purposes is made by the Office of Admissions at the time of admission.

If the original residence status for tuition purposes is designated as nonresident, this status remains in effect unless the student requests and is granted reclassification.  Such requests should be addresses to the Office of Admissions prior to the beginning of the semester in which reclassification is to take effect.

In some programs, especially those offered online, residency may not be a factor, as tuition and fees may be the same rate for all students.

Minnesota/Wisconsin Tuition Reciprocity

The current reciprocity agreement between Minnesota and Wisconsin enables a Minnesota resident to attend Wisconsin public institutions of higher education at rates approximating tuition prevailing in the Minnesota State University System. Those wishing to take advantage of this tuition remission must apply well in advance of their initial enrollment at a Wisconsin System institution. Approval covers the full year (including Interim and Summer Sessions) and is automatically renewed each year for the campus initially approved. Information is available from the State of Minnesota Office of Higher Education Reciprocity Program, 1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350, St. Paul, MN  55108-5227, Phone: 651-642-0567 or toll-free 800-657-3866. 

Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP)

Students from participating states are offered 150% of the cost of an in-state student through the Midwest Student Exchange Program. To be eligible for the MSEP program, students must be admitted to an eligible graduate program and be a legal resident of Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, or Ohio (effective Fall 2018). The Doctor of Nursing Practice degree and most of the online graduate programs are not participants of the MSEP, since they have uniquely defined tuition rates. Learn more about MSEP.

Tuition Remission

Wisconsin Statues provide for awarding a limited number of tuition remissions to students who are not residents of Wisconsin.  These awards range in value and can be up to the difference between resident and nonresident tuition.  Students who are not residents of Wisconsin are considered for non-resident tuition remission by submitting the FAFSA.  Students who are employed for a graduate assistantship of at least 13.3-hours per week during the academic term/year may be eligible for a non-resident tuition remission. Minnesota residents must apply for MN/WI tuition reciprocity.

Financial Assistance

Consideration for financial aid will be given following admission to a particular graduate program. An applicant who is completing a baccalaureate degree may be awarded graduate aid pending verification of successful completion of the degree. Applicants for financial aid are urged to submit their applications as early as possible. To apply for aid, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which is available online at: Students must be enrolled on at least a half-time basis (four credits during fall or spring semester, three credits during summer session, or a minimum of one thesis credit) to be eligible for financial aid. Graduate students may be awarded one or a combination of the following types of financial aid.

Work Study and Student Employment

Applicants applying for Federal Work Study must establish financial need by completing the FAFSA and meeting the job skill requirements established by the employer.  Students may work up to their maximum work study award under the Federal work study program.  Graduate students’ job responsibilities are generally of a more complex nature and thus may be paid at a higher wage rate than undergraduate students. Both on- and off-campus work study positions are available.

Nonfederal Student Employment is open to all enrolled students who meet the job skill requirements.  Students may work up to 20 hours per week as a student employee.

Contact Blugold Central Student Services for specific questions concerning eligibility and restrictions, 715-836-3000.


Graduate students who want to be considered for the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan must complete the FAFSA and be enrolled at least half-time (4 credits during the academic year; 3 credits during summer).  Applicants may borrow up to their Financial Aid budget minus other aid, or a maximum of $20,500 per academic year, whichever is less.  (Maximum accumulated loan for both undergraduate and graduate degrees is $138,000.)

International Student Aid

International Student Tuition Remission Scholarships

The value of International Student Tuition Remission Scholarships may equal up to the non-resident cost of tuition. This scholarship may be available to international students in good academic standing.