Grading Systems

Graduate students may earn grades of A (A=Excellent), A-, B+, B (B=Good), B-, C+, C (C=Fair), C-, D+, D (D=Poor), D-, or F (F=Failing) in courses. Gradepoint values are assigned on a four-point system as follows:

A 4.00
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.00
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D 1.00
D- 0.67
F 0.00

These grade point values, when multiplied by the number of course credits, give the total number of grade points earned for that particular course. Courses in which grades below C (GPA of 2.00) are earned are not applicable to degree requirements. Courses in which grades of C are earned may be applied toward degree requirements, providing the student has sufficient grades of A to achieve the required overall GPA of 3.00, or B average. All credits attempted in graduate courses at the University are utilized in computing the overall graduate GPA. Grades in transfer courses are not counted in the computation of the resident GPA at UW-Eau Claire.

Incomplete grades may be allowed in a course by the professor. An incomplete grade must be removed no later than the end of the regular semester following the term in which the incomplete was received, although the professor may set an earlier deadline. Grades of “incomplete” not removed by the deadline date are converted to a grade of F.

The letters PR indicate progress in the completion of the research paper and the thesis. The letters are used instead of a grade for courses numbered 795 and 799. Credit and a grade of “S” are recorded for these courses upon satisfactory completion of the oral examination and research paper/thesis.

Note: Some programs may have additional restrictions on specific grades.


An official transcript of a student’s record will be issued by the Registrar’s office per the student’s online request. No transcripts are released (except when requested by advisers or administrative officers within the University) without the permission of the student. An official transcript cannot be issued until all admission and financial obligations to the University have been met in full.

Unofficial transcripts are available to students for advising purposes and for applying for admission to professional programs. Students may also receive a degree audit report, which is a report of a student’s progress toward fulfilling degree requirements. All documents are available via CampS.